Diagnosis and Treatment Procedures
At Neurosurgery & Spine Consultants, we are proud of being the only freestanding building dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of spine and neuropathic symptoms affecting the patients of San Antonio and South Texas.
NSC evaluates each patient not only with skill, but with compassion. In addition to a physical examination, we can administer the following diagnostic tests to determine any underlying disorder responsible for the patient's pain or symptoms. These services are performed using our onsite state-of-the-art equipment.
- X-rays In order to provide comprehensive spine and nerve care evaluations, our office has the capability to offer dynamic, cervical, thoracic and lumbar X-rays. We also offer 36-inch full spine evaluations for scoliosis. These images are viewed on a flat screen monitor in one of our 16 exam rooms. Each room is spacious enough for family members to join the patient, view the images in real time, and relate an anatomical model to the diagnosis. Therefore, a decision can made as a team for the best treatment option.
- Electromyography (EMG) & Nerve Conduction Study (NCS) An EMG records the electrical activity inside the muscles and the nerve study records how fast your nerves are able to conduct an impulse of energy. If there is a problem with either your muscles or nerves, the EMG/NCS may be used to pinpoint the problem, which helps our physicians give an accurate diagnosis. We are pleased to offer you increased efficiency and convenience by providing these tests on the premises.
At NSC we treat your pain using conservative, noninvasive or minimally invasive methods whenever possible. We always give our patients an overview of options that covers both conservative and, if necessary, potential surgical procedures. Because we are always striving to treat you more efficiently, we now have an on-site physician charged only with treatment of acute and chronic pain conditions. Sandra Rojas, MD is a previous assistant professor of Clinical Anesthesiology, Perioperative Medicine and Pain Management from the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine. She specializes in the treatment of spine and nerve conditions. To read Dr. Rojas’ biography click here.
Some of the treatment options we offer at our facility are:
- Oral and/or topical over-the-counter or prescription medications
- Braces to support the back or neck
- Spinal cord stimulators
- Trigger point injections
- X-ray-guided epidural steroid Injections
When Conservative Treatments Aren't Sufficient
At NSC we are aware that conservative treatments are not always sufficient to relieve pain and other serious symptoms. Our highly skilled physicians are prepared to perform a full range of surgical procedures as necessary.
For a full list of the surgeries we are well-equipped to perform, please check the Conditions & Procedures section of our website.