Gerardo Zavala II, MD
Dr. Zavala is a bilingual San Antonio native. Fellowship trained at Loyola Medical University Center in Maywood, Illinois, he brings extensive training in minimally invasive spinal surgery, scoliosis correction, degenerative spinal stenosis, and herniated disc disease. He is proud to serve the communities that he grew up in by offering a conservative surgical approach matched with unsurpassed patient care. Dr. Zavala and his team are passionate about delivering scientific and methodical surgical techniques to individualize patient outcomes. Patients can expect compassionate care delivered with respect and accountability.
"My philosophy with surgical intervention is to "proceed with caution". Surgery is an invasive endeavor, which should be addressed with mutual respect and partnership between surgeon and patient. Therefore, when considering surgical treatment, conservative measures should have been exhausted prior to serious surgical consideration."
- Gerardo Zavala II
- American Board of Neurological Surgery - 2013
- Fellowship Trained in Complex Spinal Surgery Loyola Medical University - 2008
- Doctor of Medicine-University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio - 2000
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Bexar County Medical Society
- Texas Medical Association
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Director of Neurosurgery at Southwest General Hospital - 2009-2014
- Serves on the Physician Leadership Committee for St. Luke’s Baptist Hospital
- Director of spine surgery, St. Luke’s Baptist Hospital - 2013-Present
- Director of spine surgery, Santa Rosa Westover Hills Hospital - 2012-Present
- Director of Neurosurgery and the Stroke Program at Metropolitan Methodist Hospital - 2010-2011
- Previous Associate Professor of Neurosurgery at the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
Click here to view a St. Luke's Baptist Hospital video featuring Dr. Zavala.